Purchases made on Cratejoy:
Purchases made on Cratejoy are charged a 11.25% + $.10 transaction fee (10% marketplace transaction fee, plus the 1.25% +$.10 platform transaction fee). So for a $25 transaction you would pay $2.91 in fees. This fee exists because these purchases are from customers that Cratejoy is sending to your listing who otherwise may never have seen your listing, and for which we have invested a lot of time, effort, and money. This type of expense is referred to as Customer Acquisition Cost, or CAC.
If I refund an order, are the fees refunded?
Yes. Whenever you refund a subscriber the full box cost for an order made through the Cratejoy, the associated fees are also fully refunded.
What kind of advertising does Cratejoy do?
- Subscription Box Reviewers/Unboxing (Example, Example)
- Links from high traffic websites and affiliates (Example, Example)
- High search rankings on google across more than 200 search categories
- Adwords, and Facebook advertising
- Youtube Influencers (Example)
- Targeted email campaigns
- Dozens of email, recommendation, and advertising experiments that our team runs every month
This fee allows us to recover our cost for acquiring these new paying customers for you over their lifetime. We only recover our cost here if we're sending you high quality customers that stick around for months on end. Because this is on a per transaction basis and there is no fee for listing on Cratejoy you can rest assured that if the Cratejoy does not send you customers then you wind up paying absolutely nothing.
For more information on how and why these fees exist please consult this blog post.