I'm happy with Gifting 2. Can I keep using it?
In a sense, Gifting 3 is more of an upgrade to Gifting 2 than an outright replacement; Gifting 3 adds new functionality, but does not take away the old. If you want to retain the existing Gifting 2 experience, you can simply keep your checkout setting as "Always Renew" and the process will remain completely unchanged.
I'm on Gifting 1, and Gifting 3 sounds right up my alley! How do I upgrade?
Great question! Please contact email@example.com, and we'll be more than happy to upgrade you to Gifting 3!
Is there any particular checkout setting that I should use if I am concerned about my gift purchasers being renewed when they don’t want to? Why?
In this case we recommend you use the "Ask on Checkout" setting. This will allow subscribers the clear choice as to whether or not to renew and will give you a larger value per gift subscription as compared to never allowing them to renew.
Where can I find gift information for a subscription?
If a subscription was a gift subscription, then you’ll find a Subscription Gift Info box on their subscription page. Here, you’ll be able to see:
- Subscription Gift Recipient Name (if the purchaser included it)
- Subscription Gift Recipient Email Address (if the purchaser included it)
- Subscription Gift Message (if the purchaser included it)
- Subscription Gift Renewal Type (whether the purchaser bought a non-renewing gift or a renewing gift subscription)
Is there any way to convert a non-renewing gift into a renewing subscription?
Yes, you can toggle a subscription’s gift renewal type setting. Go the Subscription page for a gift subscription, and you’ll see a toggle for a the gift renewal type. You can then change a non-renewing gift to a renewing gift, or vice versa.
What happens when I toggle a gift subscription from non-renewing to renewing, or vice versa?
Turning a non-renewing gift subscription to a renewing gift subscription:
- This will change the subscription’s end date (future expiration date) to its next renewal date; on that date, the subscription will renew.
- The gift subscription will now be included in churn calculations.
- The gift subscription will be included as a “Renewing Gift Subscription” on all subscription and analytics filters.
- If you have the “Subscription Change” notification turned on for your store, the gift purchaser will receive an email telling them when their subscription will now renew.
Turning a renewing gift subscription into a non-renewing gift subscription:
- This will change the subscription’s next renewal date into its expiration date.
- The gift subscription will no longer be included up in churn calculations.
- The gift subscription will be included as a “Non-renewing Gift Subscription” on all subscription and analytics filters.
- If you have the “Subscription Change” notification turned on for your store, the gift purchaser will receive an email telling them when their subscription will now expire.
Is there any way to hand off a gift to the recipient so that they can manage the subscription?
Not yet, but we are also aware of the potential need for this.
Why can’t my non-renewing gift purchasers change their product or term?
For any subscription, gift or non-gift alike, these changes only take effect upon renewal. Because non-renewing gifts, by definition, have no renewal date, we simply do not display options to your subscribers which cannot take effect. Changes that take place immediately, such as selecting a different product variant or changing the shipping address, are displayed and CAN be modified on non-renewing gifts.
Will these non-renewing gifts show up on my dashboard churn calculation?
No. Churn is a measure of cancellations, and non-renewing gifts do not cancel, they expire.
Will renewing gifts show up on my dashboard churn calculation?
Yes. Just like Gifting 2, renewing gifts will show up as churn, alongside normal cancelled subscriptions.
Will I be able to tell if a gift is renewing or not in my shipping export?
There is a new field in the shipping export titled "will renew," which will allow you to keep track of which gifts are renewing and which are not.
What about all of the areas where a non-renewing gift purchaser would normally see “Renews on [DATE]” or “Will auto renew”?
These sections are all modified for non-renewing gifts. This is including but not limited to: the Checkout page, Customer Account Page, Thank You Page, and the "Subscription Change" notifications which both you and the subscriber receive.
What are the changes to the notifications?
The only notification Gifting 3 alters is the "Subscription Change" notification which both you and the subscriber receive. The change limited to switching the renewal text from "Renews for $Price starting on Date" to conditionally state "This is a non-renewing subscription which will expire on Date" if the gift is non-renewing. Please note that if you have customized these notifications you may wish to restore the notification to the default and re-do your customizations to implement the new changes.
Note: With Gifting 3.1, there is now also a shipping notification sent to the recipient when the shipment is marked shipped.